From the Commodore May 2014

OverEasy
dolphin

From the Commodore May 2014

Post by OverEasy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 pm

From the Commodore
NE-TS News

May 2014

Another sailing season is upon us and anticipations are high as many of us work thru fragmented schedules, uncooperative weather and unexpected distractions to get our boats ready and in the water. I hope everyone has the opportunity to make it on the water this year.

Thanks to everyone who made it to the April Member’s / Board meeting held at Sky Venture in Nashua, NH. Working as a team, we were able to address, discuss and set action plans for club issues. Please refer to the Meeting Minutes section of the Member’s only forum for the latest report. Thank you to members Ken Boutiette and Steve Silva for stepping up and volunteering to serve as Member’s at Large.

Our first sailing event of the season, the Winnipesaukee Rendezvous was not well received this year. Rendezvous captain Chuck Healey reported not receiving any interest from members. Chuck did have his boat in the water and even tho the weather forecast called for possible showers for that weekend, the weather turned out to be quite nice. I met with Chuck and his family for dinner at Patrick's Pub in Gilford on Saturday evening. We discussed the idea of trying for another Winnipesaukee Rendezvous this season, either during the summer or after Labor Day. If you have thoughts on moving the Winni Rdvz to a later date, please let either Chuck or myself know.

I’d like to extend a thank you and a sailor’s welcome to both returning and new club members. I’m happy to report that our 2014 Membership Roster is currently up to 45 paid members. This is the time of year when dues are due and if you haven’t gotten around to renewing or are on the fence about continuing as a NE-TS member, please drop me a line if you have any questions. For those of you who have been asking for the new password, as replied, we are leading up to the annual password change and paid members will be notified by email of the change. Currently, the 2013 password is still in effect.

To those of you who are sailors of Casco Bay, Maine, I’ve posted a link on the NE-TS Public Chat forum of how the Maine Coast Heritage Trust is working to purchase the islands known as The Goslings, for future conservation. The Goslings are a group of islands that form an anchorage and are popular with boating enthusiasts of all types. Some of our members have visited this special area.

A reminder to all that the Allen Harbor 1 Rendezvous is coming up! Scheduled for the first weekend in June, we have planned this event to be a Meet & Greet. We invite and encourage club members who would like to attend a rendezvous but don’t want to trailer their boat, to plan on attending. Acquaintances of the boating public are invited as well. We will be meeting Friday night at the Pavilion for a potluck barbeque. Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting, we will be daysailing and returning to the marina for the evening. Members who bring their boats are encouraged, but not required, to qualify and take on guests for a daysail and introduce them to the sport of trailer-sailing. Please refer to the Rendezvous Worksheets section of the Member’s only section of our webpage for more detailed information.

As Rdvz Captain for this event, I ask that you RSVP me with your intent to participate. If you are thinking about attending and have questions, please contact me as well at: neverlost01@gmail.com

Also, consider our upcoming Summer Sail’stice and Lake Champlain events.

A reminder to Rendezvous Captains, if you are leading an event and have not yet updated the worksheets on our website, please do so soon so that our members can plan for these events. If you have challenges or questions on updating the worksheets, please let myself or the Webmaster know.

In closing, please remember that this unique family of sailors makes the club what it is and your participation helps us sustain and grow. You can participate at meetings, sailing events, and even thru online conversations and sharing of stories and pictures on our Forum and Facebook page. Thanks again to everyone who has chosen to participate with the North East Trailer Sailors this season. I hope that your sailing, with or without the club, is safe, adventurous and memorable!

Sea you on the water!! 8-)

Andrew Found, Commodore
s/v Over Easy