Blue Marlin
Boat_year: 1968
Boat Make: Ohlson
Boat_Model: 38
Boat_Name: Mildred Rose

2012 Launch of Mildred Rose and trip to Martha's Vineyard

Post by Mildred Rose » Thu May 31, 2012 11:14 pm

2012 Launch of Mildred Rose and shakedown cruise to Martha's Vineyard

Mildred Rose, our 1968 Ohlson 38, was trailered down to the Mattapoisett Boat Ramp by Brownell Systems on Friday afternoon. They stepped the mast, installed the boom, and rigged her. Very professional, even put a piece of carpet down by the ladder to reduce dirt on their shoes!!

I spent the late afternoon wiring the mast, and other setup chores. Millie arrived after work to assist in installing the sails onto the boom and roller furler. Finished up some last minute chores..locked Mildred Rose up for the evening.

Saturday morning, 8:30, we arrive at the boat ramp, I drop Millie off and drive to Brownell's to leave our car, as we will not be returning to the ramp. The owner, Tom Brownell, drove me to the ramp where the guys were waiting to launch us. Millie and I got on board, and the trailer backed us down the ramp. It is always a stressful time! Even with careful planning, and proper prep work, everything is going through your mind what may not work.. will the motor not fire up.. will the motor stall, is the engine seacock open? Is the starting battery charged enough? Too late now.. it is now or never!

The boat is backed into the water, once deep enough, I fire up the Yanmnar diesel motor. Starts the first flick of the key. Nice! Break out some fenders and boat hook. Being a bit of a wimp....not wanting to back the boat all the way out into the harbor, as a full keel boat doesn't back up well, and you have little steering... I decide to have the guys turn us around at the ramp. I secure a line to the bow and toss it to Tom Brownell, he spins us around in the boat ramp so we point out! Once fully turned around, slowly engage the motor and motor out to one of the free moorings so I can finish tuning the rigging. whhhhhheeewww.. Thats over with!!

I take some time to tune the shrouds, Uppers to 1000#, lowers to about 800#. I don't put cotter pins in the turnbuckles yet.. I want to do that at the end of the journey, to check to see if they loosen up a bit.

The fog in Buzzards bay has about lifted. I can see clear across to Wood's Hole. Our destination is Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard. Go through the rest of the systems, to ensure everything works. We slip the mooring and motor out to towards the hole! Not a lot of wind, and a bit foggy here and there. We decide to motor instead of sail. We get to the hole on time, if a bit early, and get a nice push through the hole! Motor across Vineyard Sound towards Tashmoo. I plot a course over Middle Ground (shallow area in front of the entrance to Tashmoo), over a spot I know is very deep, dispite what the chart says. We enter Tashmoo, hugging the left side of the channel. Even though it looks like you can jump to shore, it is plenty deep. Listening to the depth sounder alarm beeping away.. yes..yes.. I know it is shallow.. Millie mutes the alarm. Even though I see the depth go from 6 feet.. 5..4..3..2..1..... 2. ...3..4.. I know it is deep enough for us.. as we have been to Tashmoo MANY times!

We motor over to our favorite anchor spot, bring the anchor rode to the bow, secure it to the anchor.... slip the 35# CQR down the bow roller..let out 60-70' of rode (way overkill for this spot, but I don't like dragging). Set the anchor drag alarm on the 2 GPS we have on board.

We settle in, tired, sore, stressed out from the launch and the fog.. we relax a bit, check our email on our phones, take a nap!!! Waked up later for a happy hour.. have some snacks.. drink a bit to stay hydrated. Later had a quickie dinner of just a sandwich and chips. I knew we would be too tired for a full blown meal.

Sunday morning, made coffee and had some breakfast. Cooked some scrambled eggs, OJ, milk, Rice Krispies! mmm m good. Food always tastes so much better on the boat!

After breakfast, I inflated the dinghy, our 1978 Avon Redcrest! This is a nice soft transom dinghy, rolls up small, and is very light as far as dinghies go. It stores completely in a cockpit locker! I did not have our dinghy motor ready for this trip, so I had to row to shore. Oh well no biggie. The Avon rows quite nicely.

Once to the dinghy dock, we walk the short distance to Vineyard Haven. We do our walk around town, have some lunch by the water in the gazzebo. after that, strolled around the Black Dog tavern, went into their stores, walked around town a bit more. Stopped for coffee..relaxed a bit on Main street. Of course, had to go to Mad Martha's for a great ice cream!

After having some ice cream, we decide to walk back to the boat to relax a bit before dinner. Rowed back to the boat, relaxed a bit, had some snacks and drinks...read a bit, checked emails, etc.. Time to make dinner! On the menu tonight was Pork Chops, my famous 'boat fries' , and salad. Dinner was great. It was nice enough that we ate on deck! Nothing like having dinner in spectacular Lake Tashmoo during sunset!

After dinner, we had our coffee, went to bed!

Monday morning, we had to get up early to make the current at Wood's Hole. The forecast was cool and FOG! Looking out into Vineyard Sound, they were not kidding. I can't fire up the radar, as it blew a fuse, and I don't know what is wrong. So I did fire up the automated fog horn feature on our VHF radio, which sounds the horn every couple minutes! Out on Vineyard sound, it was not too bad, then, one away from shore, it got a LOT thicker, a few boat lengths in every direction. We could hear fog horns from other boats in the distance. We are NOT alone.

Both Millie and I taking watch in all directions, boat is on autopilot and is doing a great job keeping us on course and on time. Once near woods hole, the fog gets a lot lighter and the autopilot brought us dead on into the channel into the hole! We motor through woods hole, enter Buzzard's Bay. Not as foggy as Vineyard sound, maybe a few miles visibility, a vast improvement!!

Still with little wind, we decide to motor back to Marion. Set the autopilot to Marion. The yanmar doing a bang up job. Nice quite diesel, smooth.. We get to relax a bit, now that we can see a lot further, and get to play a bit with the AIS to see targets in the bay. Pretty neat feature!

few hours later..we see Bird Island ..our landmark to Marion. We head into the harbor, and get to our mooring. By now the fog is pretty much lifted, but we are done for the day.

We still have some work to do. I spend some time doublechecking the rigging, secure the turnbuckles with cotter pins, tape them all up nice and safe. check everything on board.. clean up a bit.. secure everything

Called the launch to pick us up.. Burr Brothers launch is there in no time to give us a lift to shore.

A bit stressful, but still fun, weekend. A nice shakedown cruise!
Paul S

"Mildred Rose"
1968 Ohlson 38
A boat is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on, it is merely 'resting'.

OverEasy
dolphin

Re: 2012 Launch of Mildred Rose and trip to Martha's Vineyar

Post by OverEasy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 pm

HOORAY for the new season and a successful launch :!: How's the water down there for swimming right now?

Mildred Rose
Blue Marlin
Boat_year: 1968
Boat Make: Ohlson
Boat_Model: 38
Boat_Name: Mildred Rose

Re: 2012 Launch of Mildred Rose and trip to Martha's Vineyar

Post by Mildred Rose » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:39 pm

water is still quite cold!
Paul S

"Mildred Rose"
1968 Ohlson 38
A boat is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on, it is merely 'resting'.