Boat_year: 2004
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: 26M
Boat_Name: Mildred Rose
DSC_number: 338026633
Posted for tony by the moderator

return home to NE-TS Public Page click here

2008 Allen's Harbor I Rendezvous Report by the Beep

Since I did not see a story about Allen Harbor I thought I would give you all a little info about the fun and games that was had.

First of all on a sad note we all thought of Roger Jones who had been the responsible person for many a year making the rendezvous possible. Mike stepped up and did a fine job. Thanks Mike!!!

It all started Friday night with Ed Goodhue showing up from Cape Cod ( for those who do not know he sailed all the way, no trailer for him), a group Al, Karen, Mike, Paul, Harry, Nance, George, Melodie, Dan, Nan and who else I do not know as I got there late. I hate having to work! I do know they went out to dinner while Ed G. and I stepped my new mast for the first time. I forgot all the stuff that goes into setting up a new mast. Then rafted to Dolphin for the night

On Saturday we had the captains meeting on the deck (thanks for the buns Karen and the wish books) to plan the trip and after 1 and a half hours it was decided to go to potters cove for the night. I guess change would kill this group but nothing wrong with the usual. If memory serves me right we had 8 mac’s. 1 san juan and 2 large boats to be joined later by the commodore and his large boat (and casted foot). Thanks to all who donated parts to keep my rudder down as my down haul was broken. The sail to Potters cove was great we went from little wind to speeds over 7.5 knots till it all died just as we got there. On the way some watched the races, some went north some south and all got there safely. The usual rafting and partying was held and fun was had by all. Needless to say much taxi service was done up till dark.

On Sunday the usual slow leaving occurred as there was little wind and it was so nice that it was hard to get going, plus I had to fix my rudder down haul. But one by one the boats left Potter Cove and were off again north and south back to Allen Harbor. We (Ed G. and I) chose the north route and we had to motor sail most of the way to the top of Prudence Island before the wind kicked in and then it sure did. We went from a flat sail to 25 degree sleigh ride. What fun, we tried to find Dan & Nan and sandy beach with no luck. We then sailed to Allen Harbor to end the day. Did I say end, this was only the start! Al & Karen were pulling out when I got there and with both their help I got on the trailer and up the ramp to take everything down. Ed G. was there to help as the front stay was bad and we had to take it off to go to Rigging to be replaced so Al, Ed and I took it off and I went back to lowering the mast, did I mention that it was a new mast and a new tabernacle and a new way to raise and lower? Needless to say the mast raising system I have was not usable so I made up a lowering system (first mistake). I then started to lower the mast but it would not mover so a little help on the aft stay and the whole mast started to fall (forgot to pull the pin on the tabernacle, second mistake). Being a good captain I tried to save the mast putting my body between it and the boat. Since I’m not 28 feet tall I was knocked from the deck to the foot well and the mast fell. My new stern rail helped slow it down as did my body. (I’ve almost healed now a week later only one trip to the doctor). Had to replace the stern rail, the body has fixed it self. Also the holder I used on the lowering sheet I forgot to put the nut on the bolt and it gave (strike three, this put me out). So may mistakes in such a short time. But all was fixed and with help I got the boat ready to trailer.

Now you would think that I would be a whipping boy of the group after that but no as usual some white knight comes to the rescue. This time it was Paul, as he came to the parking lot he hit the high voltage line with his spreader and I was forgotten about. Thanks Paul I owe you one.

Once again my first sail of the year was a training activity but my mac somehow seems to survive and my body heals each year. But getting the boat up to hull speed more than made up for the back and blue marks, doctor bill and the new stern rail. But best of all is the help and enjoyment of the company given by the members there. We are sailors but we are also a social group and I must say a bunch of great people!

Fail Winds

Tony DiStefano

The Beep

Keep reading down. More reports below!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2008 Allen's Harbor I Rendezvous Report by The Beep
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:04 am 
sailfish

Yes Tony, it was quite 'shocking' ! Thank goodness the only damage was a melted upper shroud! The SS wire melted to within a couple of strands! No other damage to the boat or electronics. Wheeew..close call!

Post subject: Re: 2008 Allen's Harbor I Rendezvous Report by 'Mildred Rose'
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 am 
sailfish

It was certainly the shake down cruise of shake down cruises!

Earlier in the spring, I had to replace the steering cable on our M, as the original one failed last year. It took some doing, but wasn't overly difficult. Everything went in just fine.. or so I thought!

Friday afternoon, rigging the boat (04 M), no problems..everything going as good as can be. Launched the boat single handed, no problem.. started the motor no problem.. awesome! filled the ballast, everything worked quite well...

This is going to be a good day/night. Nice relaxing eve, have a bite to eat, relax, play on the internet a bit.. just like home. Or so I thought!

After putting the truck and trailer away..and getting back on the boat.. put the boat in reverse..turned the wheel to startboard...the boat turned to port!!! I am like....'that ain't right'!! turn the the wheel the opposite way..boat turned the other way! NOW I am thinking.. " I bought the wrong *&^%&^ steering rack... There must be a right and left cable!!!! " but after logically thinking.. I now remeber the rack and pinion could go in either of 2 ways.. I began to think I put the rack in on the wrong side of the pinion.

in the back of the pond.. I quickly get my drill and tools and start to take apart the steering console.. OK.. need a socket or something to take the steering wheel off. WHAT.. no socket is big enough? Now what? ohhh lets try the spark plug socket.. it is too big, but does catch the flats on the nut..and does come off! wheeeeew! Now the rest of the console comes out fairly quickly..I am losing daylight.. the lil black flies are out nipping away.. not fun! I get the pinion out..finally, I rotate the rack in the console..reinstall the pinion..put it all together..and it works!!! Now put everything back and give it a test.. yeeees wheew.. Fastest R+R of a M console and steering system I ever did!

It is clear sailing from here! Again..so I thought! had a great day sailing saturday. Like Tony said, it was pretty quiet out there.. motoring a bit, we thought Dan did not show up to bring the wind! :) then after a bit, the wind kicked up and had a great sail.. Happy hour was great. Sunday was similar..some wind..some power.. had a good couple hours of good sailing.. decent wind.. tacking back and forth back to the ramp...

Now I think all the excitement is over..once again I am mistaken! I put the boat on the dock..go to get the trailer..dunk it.. ready for me to drive on.. and a powerboat decides to dock at the ramp float.. Does he not see my trailer in the water? I am sure he will figure it out. I go back to the dock..get the boat..motor over.. the boat is still there.. Eventually, with some prodding from my wife, they move the boat to the other side of the dock float.. pull the boat out.. ..empty the ballast..great!

Other than a slight mishap with the steering..it was a great weekend.. no more probles.. still, once again, totally wrong! pull the boat up the ramp.. over to the de-rigging area.. Harry waves me in .. I know the powerlines are there..and I know Harry wont let me hit them..ah huh..wrong again! Sparks fly..as the top of the mast hits the high voltage powerlines and the lower portion of the upper shroud hits the lower cables (telephone or cable tv or something) and creates quite a spark show from what bystanders said!

back up a bit..long story short..take the mast down..the upper shroud is metled where the wires hit..barely held in by a strand or 2! Thank goodness the mast didnt come down!

At home, after getting a replacement shroud, I take off the spreader boot, and the wire is melted there too! The spreader was OK though! Reinstall everything.. worked great.. no other damage to the boat or electronics.. GPS/vhf/lights, everything still works! Close call! It could have been sooo much worse!

There were other issues on other boats.. Karamel had some autopilot issue.. At Ease had some sort of head problem! I am sure they can fill you in on those stories.. :)

"Mildred Rose"
2004 26M Hull 360
A Macgregor is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on it is merely 'resting'.