V berth mattress

Public (no password required) forum for discussion anything about Trailer Sailing or about our club, the North East Trailer Sailors
Wave Walker
tadpole
Boat_year: 1995
Boat Make: MacGregor
Boat_Model: 26S
Boat_Name: Wave Walker
DSC_number: 0

V berth mattress

Post by Wave Walker » Sun May 15, 2016 9:18 am

I've just converted the V berth in Wave Walker back to sleeping, but maintained storage underneath (covered by hinged panels). The previous owner had it set up for storage only. I just cut a 6" foam mattress to fit and as expected, as one piece it is totally unmanageable. I can't even get it in the cabin. My question is should I cut it lengthwise into two pieces, or crosswise into two or three pieces? Which do you prefer? I placed the cut pieces on the floor and tried it with seams going lengthwise and crosswise and can't really tell the difference. But this could all change when a cover is sewn on and the pieces are placed in the V berth. I'm thinking crosswise in 3 pieces so that access to the storage areas is easier.

-Randy

OverEasy
dolphin

Re: V berth mattress

Post by OverEasy » Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 am

Since discovering sleeping sans mattress, my lengthwise v-berth sections allow for removal of one without affecting the other persons sleeping area. However, if you are not affected by seam edges of width-wise sections, you may find multiple uses for those shape cushions as needed elsewhere on the boat.