main sail lugs

Public (no password required) forum for discussion anything about Trailer Sailing or about our club, the North East Trailer Sailors
mmflan67
tadpole
Boat_year: 1978
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: Venture 21
Boat_Name: An Aisling
DSC_number: 0

main sail lugs

Post by mmflan67 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:06 pm

As a newbie to Venture 21s I'm haveing a little problem with my main sail going up the mast. She has been sitting for 2 years and so seems to need some lubracant to help ease some of the sticking points. I found Liquid Wrench dry spray on and was wondering if that would be good to use, or if there is a better brand out there that won't be messy. Any help is appreciated.
Mike

ahill
guppy

Re: main sail lugs

Post by ahill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I have been using McLube Sailcoat for the tracks. It's available at most marine stores in 16 oz. spray cans. It's a little pricy but I am still using the same can I started with 10 years ago. It sprays on clear, does not stain sails, is very slippery, and dries almost instantly. Liquid Wrench dry spray may be similar but I am not familiar with it. Make sure it doesn't affect the plastic sail slides if you have them. McLube can be sprayed directly on the sail boltrope, sail slides, or in the sail track and works good.

Al

mmflan67
tadpole
Boat_year: 1978
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: Venture 21
Boat_Name: An Aisling
DSC_number: 0

Post by mmflan67 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks Al, looks like West Marine will get to know me by my first name :) I'll pick up some Sailcoat . If it works that well it's worth the money. Mike

Mildred Rose
Blue Marlin
Boat_year: 1968
Boat Make: Ohlson
Boat_Model: 38
Boat_Name: Mildred Rose

Post by Mildred Rose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:31 am

sailkote works well. not cheap but worth it.

You should get to know defender www.defender.com better than west. A LOT less expensive, faster, and no sales tax.

This is the first year in boating where I have not spent a dime I West. Not out of any protest or boycott. Just Defender, et al, are a lot less expensive and offer better value and service.
Paul S

"Mildred Rose"
1968 Ohlson 38
A boat is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on, it is merely 'resting'.