Seaward Factory Visit

Public (no password required) forum for discussion anything about Trailer Sailing or about our club, the North East Trailer Sailors
moondancer
tadpole
Boat_year: 2005
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: 26m
Boat_Name: moondancer
DSC_number: 0

Seaward Factory Visit

Post by moondancer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

OK this is a make up for being 4 weeks late with my first promised post. I was down in Miami FL for a week to baby sit the grandkids. They had to go to school so I was at loose ends during the day. Stuart FL was two hours away and that is where they make the Seaward retractable keel boats. I called Rob Parks the sales manager, before I went to FL and he rearranged his schedule to make time for my visit. Being a machinist I have worked in many shops and the cleaner ones are usually the better ones. This was a resonablely clean working shop. I saw the molds for the 32RK which is the one I was most interested in. I noticed the care the employees put into their work and Rob explained the processes to me and assembly order. The shop was also repairing and bringing up to date one of the earlier models that they made. So they still service what is out there. They had just finished a 32RK the day before and put it in the water. I had seen and been on these boats at the Newport boat show but with everyone else milling around it was hard to really get a feel for the boat. Rob brought me out to the new boat and let me wander to my hearts content. Plus answer the questions that popped up in my head. I like my 26M and really enjoy the time I get to spend on it. More space is always better for me so that is why I was looking at the 32RK. My plan is to do some partial live aboard at some time so that is why the extra 6' and inside shower (that I can use) is attractive to me. It is 10' 6" wide so a wide load permit is required in most states which do not seem that hard to get. The boat is still trailerable at about 10,000 pounds and they use a gin pole setup for raising the mast using one of the winches. It has an inboard diesel engine with easy access for maintenance. So all it takes is money and time. Some time I still have, the money.....well......... Take care Mike

OverEasy
dolphin

Re: Seaward Factory Visit

Post by OverEasy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

Hey Mike, any chance they offer a demo sail??

moondancer
tadpole
Boat_year: 2005
Boat Make: Macgregor
Boat_Model: 26m
Boat_Name: moondancer
DSC_number: 0

Re: Seaward Factory Visit

Post by moondancer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Overeasy I did not ask for one since I was doing this during school hours so time was limited. I think one may be arranged at the Newport boat show before or after. I remember something in the back of my little brain about check rides before or after the show. That could be Hunter sailboats who mentioned that. My little brain gets so confused some times. Take care Mike